Uncover the Secrets of Sable Alley, Maun, Botswana: A Hidden Gem Revealed!
Uncover the Secrets of Sable Alley, Maun, Botswana: A Review That's Actually Useful (and Maybe a Little Crazy)
Okay, so Sable Alley. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt… which, by the way, they don't sell. Huge disappointment, folks. But hey, besides the lack of souvenir apparel, this place is a hidden gem. A seriously sparkly, diamond-encrusted gem. Let's dive in, shall we? Buckle up, because this review is going to be… a journey.
Accessibility: Not Quite a Smooth Ride, But They Try
Before we get to the glam, let's talk reality. Accessibility is, shall we say, developing. The website mentions "facilities for disabled guests" but honestly, Botswana isn't exactly known for its sprawling ramps and perfectly paved pathways. Getting around Sable Alley itself wasn’t a problem. You know, the lodge is beautifully designed. But imagine trying to explore the Okavango Delta from here if you have any mobility issues. They'll try to help; the staff is genuinely lovely and helpful– they really, really are – but this isn't a fully accessible paradise. So, if you need perfectly smooth pavements everywhere, perhaps this isn’t the perfect first trip.
Accessibility - A Word of Warning:
- Remember, the Okavango Delta is remote. If mobility is a big concern, call in advance and plan.
On-site Accessible Restaurants / Lounges & Wheelchair Accessible: TBD
I didn't specifically check for full wheelchair accessibility in the restaurants, but the main areas seem pretty open plan. I'd advise contacting them directly for a super precise breakdown.
Internet: Wi-Fi in the Bush?! Bless Their Souls!
Let's be honest; you're going to Sable Alley to escape the internet, right? But you still need to check your Instagram, don't you? (Me too.) Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! And in public areas! Miracles do happen. It wasn't the fastest I've ever experienced, but it was there. Considering I was smack dab in the middle of the African bush, I’d call it a win. There's also Internet [LAN] available, for those of you who like to live in the (relative) past. And, of course, the trusty Internet services. In short, you're connected if you need to be. Which is great because…
Things to Do: Beyond the Safari (But Mostly the Safari!)
Listen, you're in the Okavango Delta. The Things to do list is basically "safari, safari, safari." But Sable Alley elevates the experience. They have fantastic guides who know the animals, the landscape, and, crucially, the best spots for sundowners. You can relax, of course. And boy, did I relax. But let's be honest, you go to Sable Alley for one main reason: the safari.
Things to do Details
- Safari, Safari, Safari! (Yes, this is a triple-threat).
- Car Park [Free of Charge] - a great advantage, if you're driving.
- Valet parking - also available, for those who want to travel in style.
Ways to Relax: Spa Days in the Wilderness! (Yes, Really!)
Okay, this is where Sable Alley shines. The Spa is outstanding. I swear, I'm not usually a "spa person." I get bored. But this place… they understand how to blend luxury with the wild. Let's talk about the massage. Phenomenal. Seriously, one of the best I've ever had. Just imagine: outside, gentle breeze, sounds of the African bush, and a masseuse who clearly knows what they're doing. Heaven. They also offer a Body scrub, Body wrap, Sauna, and Steamroom. And the Pool with view? Forget about it. Pure bliss.
The Pool: A Moment of Euphoria
I'm not even a pool person and after my massage, I just had to go in. I'd heard everyone raving about the Swimming pool [outdoor] but was so caught up in the massage, I almost missed it. I was tired, a little sweaty, and just ready to chill. And the pool… The view was amazing. After the massage, I was flying! Being able to relax there in the sun and take pictures. I have a very nice series of photos of water, sun, and me. It was all very special. Pure bliss.
Spa/Sauna - A solid double-punch of relaxation. Fitness center - Get some exercise in to compensate for the amazing food.
Cleanliness and Safety: A Big, HELL YES
Let's be frank. We're all a little freaked out about germs these days. Sable Alley gets it. They have all the bells and whistles: Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Staff trained in safety protocol. I never once felt uneasy. They even have Individual-wrapped food options; I mean, what more could I ask for?
The COVID Stuff:
- First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, and Hygiene certification. - All present.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter - You can easily do this in the vast spaces.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: Prepare to Gain a Few Kilos
Alright, foodies, listen up! Sable Alley knows how to feed you. Really well.
The Menu
- A la carte in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar - Plenty of dining options!
- Breakfast [buffet]- I was in breakfast heaven!
- Coffee/tea in restaurant - The coffee was good, not great, but good.
- Happy hour- A must.
- International cuisine in restaurant - It's here!
- Poolside bar- Relax by the pool with some snacks.
- Room service [24-hour] - You can order anything, at any time.
- Snack bar - Perfect for quick bites between activities.
- Western cuisine in restaurant - Plenty of delicious options.
The Food: OMG, The Food!
They offer everything: Breakfast [Buffet] (essential!), Buffet in restaurant, Coffee Shop. They have Desserts in restaurant (need I say more?), and even Asian cuisine in restaurant. I especially remember the soup. It was the Soup in restaurant and it was so good, I had it for lunch and dinner! The Vegetarian restaurant was not my thing but it's there for you veggies. And everything is super fresh, made with love. The staff is so attentive.
Services and Conveniences: Everything You Need (and More)
They anticipate your needs. Air conditioning in public area, is present which is necessary. They have a business center, concierge, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Elevator (the lodge is mostly on the ground level but there's an elevator). This place is designed to make you feel pampered.
Room Features You'll Love: Oh, the Rooms!
The A la carte in restaurant, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, In-room safe box, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Non-smoking (thank goodness!), Private bathroom, Refrigerator, Satellite/cable channels, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Smoke detector, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens
They have it all. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and beautifully decorated, and perfect for any situation.
For the Kids: Family Friendly Vibes
Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal - You've got this!
Getting Around: Smooth as Silk
Airport transfer, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Taxi service, Valet parking - Transport with ease and comfort.
The Nitty Gritty Stuff (Because I Care):
While there's a lot to love, here are a few random observations:
- The Additional toilet - Awesome, especially the morning after a few sundowners.
- The Mirror – Big, with great lighting. Gotta look my best for those safari pics.
- The Reading light - Always important.
- The Slippers - a comfy touch after a long day.
- The Bottle of water - Always a plus.

Okay, buckle up Buttercup, because this Sable Alley itinerary… well, let's just say it's gonna be less "precision-engineered safari" and more "slightly-unhinged adventure." I'm going to try and capture the feeling of Botswana, not just the ticky-tacky schedule. Here we go…
Botswana, Sable Alley Blues (And Joys)
Day 1: Arrival & That First Sunset (Spoiler: It's Divine)
- Morning (Uh…Whenever I Wake Up): Touchdown at Maun Airport. Pray to the travel gods I don't get stuck next to the snorer on the 8-hour flight everyone warned me about. Collect luggage. Notice how everyone else is already wearing safari chic. I'm still in my "comfy travel pants" and a slightly-stained band tee. Fashion faux pas? Maybe. Worth it? Absolutely.
- Afternoon: The Fly-In to Sable Alley! This is the part I was ridiculously excited about. Tiny puddle-jumper plane, tiny airstrip, BIG expectations. The transfer from Maun to Sable Alley goes as smoothly as the pilots promised. The landscape unfolds beneath me - the Okavango Delta…it’s breathtaking. Seriously. Almost teared up. Now, the actual camp is a thing of beauty.
- Late Afternoon / Early Evening: Settling In and The First Sundowner (OH. MY. GOD.) Check into my tent (glorified luxury apartment, really). And the view! I could stare at that flood plain forever… Honestly, I probably will over the next few days. Then comes the first sundowner. Picture this: G&T in hand, watching the sun bleed into the sky, painting the mopane trees in fiery hues. The air hums with the buzz of insects and distant animal calls. Forget all your problems. Just… forget them. It's magic. Pure, unadulterated, Botswana magic. And, of course, this is when I meet my new safari buddies. A quirky group of people, if I do say so myself.
- Evening: Dinner Under the Stars (and Maybe a Bit Too Much Wine) Dinner is served at a long, candlelit table. This is where I get to know the other guests. And the food. OH, THE FOOD. Seriously, I'm going to gain ten pounds on this trip. We have a lively debate about the best wildlife documentaries.
Day 2: Game Drives and a Close Encounter (That Got My Heart Rate Up!)
- Early Morning: The Dawn Patrol (AKA, "Where's My Coffee?") The wake-up call at dawn. The sheer effort of dragging myself out of bed… but the promise of seeing lions or elephants or whatever is the only thing that gets me moving. Coffee is crucial. The game drive is spectacular. We see everything we hoped for. Lion cubs playing in the brush--adorable! But the real highlight?
- Morning: The Elephant Incident (My Heart Stopped!) Let's just say we got a little too close to a rather grumpy bull elephant. Our guide, bless his heart, was totally calm. Me? I may have squeaked. Repeatedly. I can still feel that… that stare he gave us. It's the thrill and the terror of the bush, all in one. Absolutely unforgettable, but perhaps I’ll keep a safe distance from elephants for the rest of the trip.
- Midday: Back to Camp for Lunch and a Nap (Desperately Needed!) A long game drive is draining. I’m ready to go lie down in my tent.
- Afternoon: Another Game Drive (Obsessed with Wildlife!) After lunch and a nap to recharge, we return for another game drive.
- Evening: Night Drive (Listening to the Dark) The night drive is another experience. Being the only people out in the darkness with the sounds of the night is very humbling. It’s a bit scary at first, but it grew on me. Back at camp, the day ends with storytelling around the communal fire.
Day 3: The Mokoro and the Tiny, Terrifying Spider (I'm Officially a City Girl)
- Morning: Mokoro Dreamin' (Peace, Finally?) Today is mokoro time! A mokoro is a traditional dugout canoe poled through the waterways of the Delta. It's serene, beautiful… and I quickly realize my balance is about as graceful as a newborn giraffe. But the papyrus reeds, the reflections on the water, the silent glide… it’s pure bliss. You see birds and other wildlife. It’s perfect.
- Afternoon: The Spider Incident (My Trauma Starts Here) Back at camp… there was a spider in my tent. A big one. I'm not going to go into details, but let’s just say I screamed. Loudly. The camp staff, bless their patient souls, handled it with grace. I, on the other hand, may need therapy.
- Late Afternoon: More Game Drive (Still Marveling) After that emotional roller-coaster, we return to the daily game drives. I'm not going to lie; this trip is starting to blend into a beautiful mess of wildlife, stunning scenery, and existential dread about spiders.
Day 4: Sable Alley's Farewell and Thoughts
- Morning: Last Game Drive (Sigh) We enjoy a final game drive to soak up the last moments of the natural beauty.
- Afternoon: Departure and (The Sad, Sad) Departure Time to fly back to Maun, and then… reality? The thought makes me want to spontaneously combust. I’m not ready to leave.
- Evening: Final Reflection and Planning the Next Trip - ASAP.
Notes, Ramblings, and Utterly Random Thoughts:
- The Food: Seriously, the food at Sable Alley is insane. I'm talking gourmet meals, prepared in the middle of nowhere. I'm going to need a serious detox when I get home.
- The Staff: The staff are amazing. Kind, helpful, knowledgeable, and they put up with my constant questions and slight hysteria. The guides are the best. The entire staff is what made this trip worth it.
- My Camera: My camera's memory card exploded. Guess I'll have to rely on my imperfect memory (and maybe a few shaky phone pics).
- The Bugs: They’re there. Deal with it. Bug spray is your friend.
- Overall Verdict: Sable Alley is an experience. It’s raw, it’s humbling, it’s beautiful, and it’s messy. It’s also, without a doubt, the best trip I've ever taken.
- Future Plans: Definitely planning to do this again… but next time, I'm bringing a professional photographer, a team of bug assassins, and maybe a therapist for emotional preparation.
There you have it! An imperfect, honest, and hopefully entertaining peek into my experience at Sable Alley. Hope you enjoyed the ride.
Newberry's BEST Kept Secret: Quality Inn Review & Hidden Perks!
Okay, spill the beans! What *is* Sable Alley, exactly? Sounds kinda… fancy.
Is it REALLY as remote as everyone says? Will I be completely out of touch? (And can I still get Wi-Fi for those urgent Instagram uploads?)
What's there *to do* at Sable Alley besides, you know, just *being there*? Because, let's face it, I get bored easily.
Tell me more about the game drives! Were they actually...good? (Be honest!)
Okay, so the food… is it all just weird local stuff? Because I'm a bit of a picky eater.
Those tents... Are they really as luxurious as they look? Are they bug-proof? (I *hate* bugs.)
What kind of clothes should I pack? I don't want to look like an idiot tourist.
How do I get to Sable Alley? It sounds like it's in the middle ofHotels With Kitchen Near Me

