Unbelievable Oaxaca Oasis: OYO Hotel Emperador's Hidden Gem!

OYO Hotel Emperador, Oaxaca Oaxaca Mexico

OYO Hotel Emperador, Oaxaca Oaxaca Mexico

Unbelievable Oaxaca Oasis: OYO Hotel Emperador's Hidden Gem!

Unbelievable Oaxaca Oasis: OYO Hotel Emperador - A Review with a Side of Soul-Searching (and a Search for the Perfect Tamale!)

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I've just returned from the OYO Hotel Emperador in Oaxaca, and let me tell you, it's a trip. Not just a trip, but a whole darn journey, complete with questionable decisions about how many tacos I could reasonably consume in a single sitting (spoiler alert: too many). This isn't your sterile, corporate hotel review, because frankly, I ain't built that way. This is the real deal, warts and all, with a dash of Oaxacan sunshine and a whole lotta heart.

First Impressions (and the Quest for the Elusive Elevator):

Right off the bat, the accessibility deserves a shout-out. The hotel boasts facilities for disabled guests, but navigating is where things get… interesting. While there's an elevator, my inner adventurer (and, let's be honest, my penchant for strategically avoiding stairs) initially struggled to locate it. It's there, I promise, but you might need to channel your inner Sherpa. Once found, the elevator proved surprisingly reliable (unlike my ability to say "no" to another mezcal).

Cleanliness and Safety - Because, Let's Face It, We're Still Recovering from that Other Thing:

Okay, so the world has changed. And frankly, I'm paranoid. But I walked into the OYO Hotel Emperador with all my sanitizing spray and a healthy dose of skepticism. I was pleasantly surprised. Professional-grade sanitizing services are clearly in place, and the staff are on it. Hand sanitizer is EVERYWHERE, and they're using anti-viral cleaning products. The room, sanitized between stays, felt genuinely clean. And the staff is trained in safety protocol – I saw them meticulously wiping down surfaces and keeping a good distance. I'm a germaphobe, and even I felt reassured. Plus, they offer room sanitization opt-out available, which is a nice touch for those who want to minimize their environmental impact.

They're also serious about food safety. They offer individually-wrapped food options, safe dining setup, and sanitized kitchen and tableware items. They did a good job about this.

Rooms - Your Little Oaxaca Sanctuary:

My room itself was a little slice of Oaxaca heaven. Air conditioning (crucial, especially in the heat!), a comfortable bed, and a private bathroom with, get this, hot water – a blessing after a long day of exploring. Free Wi-Fi that actually works is a huge win (Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!) And hey, hair dryer is included, which is just great, just great.

The Wi-Fi [free] was generally rock solid, so I was able to actually work. I mean, technically I could work. Let’s be honest, I spent a lot of time looking at photos of food I'd already devoured. I'm easily distracted. But hey, the Internet access – wireless was amazing, and it was easy to pop on and just let a little of Oaxacan spirit just flow into me.

The small touches made a difference. Coffee/tea maker in the room, a desk for the few emails I managed to answer, and even bathrobes – perfect for lounging after a spa treatment.

Alright, Let’s Talk Relaxation (and My Unsuccessful Quest for a Zen-Like State):

Okay, here's where things get really exciting. The OYO Emperador boasts a swimming pool [outdoor] – and it's gorgeous. The Pool with view is absolutely stunning, especially at sunset. I spent hours just floating, pretending I was sophisticated, and sipping margaritas.

They have a fitness center, or at least, that’s what it was called. I peeked in, saw some equipment, and promptly decided my daily workout consisted of walking to the nearest taco stand. Hey, a guy’s gotta prioritize, right?

But here’s the real hidden gem: the spa. I indulged in a massage, and it was heavenly. Seriously, the best I've had in ages. It was so good, I almost drifted off into a full-blown nap. The massage itself was fantastic – the masseuse worked out every kink and knot I didn’t even know I had. It was a complete escape. After I went on the sauna, which left me so relaxed. And then I went to the steamroom, and I thought I’d reached complete and utter oblivion. The Body scrub had me feeling like a new human, but the Body wrap was just… well, it was a wrap! I was just so relaxed -- I spent hours sitting peacefully by the Poolside bar, enjoying a drink and just letting the world drift by. I'm telling you, it was the highlight for me and the main reason I would go back again.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking - The Culinary Adventure Begins:

Oh man, the food! Oaxaca is a foodie paradise, and the OYO Hotel Emperador gets it. The restaurants offer a delectable selection, from the Asian cuisine in restaurant to the International cuisine in restaurant. You can get dishes à la carte (A la carte in restaurant) or hit the Buffet in restaurant for a more casual meal.

The Asian breakfast was a must-try. I'm talking fluffy pancakes, fresh fruit, and more coffee than a caffeine addict could ever dream of. There's a Snack bar and a Coffee shop, perfect for a quick bite or a caffeine fix.

The Poolside bar is a must. They serve amazing margaritas, and the atmosphere is just perfect for relaxing. The Happy hour specials were a lifesaver after a long day of exploring. It's great. It just feels right, especially during the evening.

I tried the Asian cuisine in restaurant and it was delicious. One of my biggest memories was of a massive buffet for dinner. I'm not saying I ate myself into a stupor, but I definitely came pretty close. I piled my plate high with everything, so much that I could barely lift my plate. The food was just perfect. I will never forget that.

(A quick tip: If you're feeling adventurous, ask for the local hot sauce. But be warned: it packs a punch!)

Services and Conveniences - The Little Things That Make a Big Difference:

The OYO Emperador is clearly designed to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The 24-hour front desk and concierge are incredibly helpful. They were always ready with a smile and a recommendation. The Daily housekeeping kept my room spick and span. I never realized how much I needed clean towels every day.

The Currency exchange was super convenient, and the Cash withdrawal service saved me from a frantic search for an ATM. The Luggage storage was perfect for my last day of travel.

Getting Around - Navigating Oaxaca and Beyond:

Getting around Oaxaca is relatively easy – and the OYO Emperador makes it even simpler. Airport transfer is available, which is a huge relief after a long flight. Car park [free of charge] is convenient if you're driving. They also have a Taxi service.

For the Kids - Family Fun & Maybe a Little Peace and Quiet:

While I didn't travel with kids, the hotel seemed very Family/child friendly. They offer the Babysitting service.

Things to Do - Exploring the Magic of Oaxaca:

Oaxaca is brimming with incredible things to see and do. This isn't just a hotel, it's a launchpad for discovery!

Unforgettable Moments and Quirky Observations:

Okay, so here's a completely honest, messy, and wonderfully imperfect recount of the OYO Hotel Emperador.

  • The Tamale Odyssey: My first night, I was determined to find the perfect Oaxaca tamale. The hotel staff pointed me in the right direction. I sampled at least ten tamales from various street vendors.
  • The Margarita Incident: I may have enjoyed a few too many margaritas by the pool one afternoon. Let's just say my attempts at synchronized swimming weren't exactly graceful.
  • The Art of the Nap: I mastered the art of the afternoon nap, thanks to those blackout curtains. And, to be honest, that bathtub.
  • The Staff's Patience: The staff's patience with my broken Spanish (and my tendency to order way too much food) was truly remarkable. Seriously, they deserve a medal.

My Verdict: Worth the Trip (and the Extra Tamale!)

The OYO Hotel Emperador isn't perfect. But it's real. It's charming. It's comfortable. It's clean. It's full of heart. It's a fantastic base for exploring the wonders of Oaxaca. And most importantly, it's an oasis.

Booking Offer - Escape to Paradise!

Book your unforgettable Oaxaca adventure at the OYO Hotel Emperador now and receive:

  • 15% off your entire stay!
  • Complimentary breakfast for two! *
Chennai's BEST Maple Tree Hotel: Unbeatable Deals & Luxury Await!

Book Now

OYO Hotel Emperador, Oaxaca Oaxaca Mexico

OYO Hotel Emperador, Oaxaca Oaxaca Mexico

Okay, buckle up buttercup, because this ain't your grandma's itinerary. This is Oaxaca, Oaxaca, and we're running on Oaxacan Time – which, let's be honest, is a glorious, unpredictable blur. We're talking OYO Hotel Emperador madness, and I'm your haphazard guide. Don't expect perfect, expect real. Expect me to get lost, probably complain about the heat, and fall utterly, hopelessly in love with this damn city.

Oaxaca: A Messy, Glorious Dive (OYO Emperador Edition)

Day 1: Arrival and the Glorious Mess of Finding My Feet (or Face-Planting Into a Tlayuda)

  • 1:00 PM (ish): Arrive at Oaxaca Airport. Okay, let's be real, "arrive" is generous. More like, stumble out of the tiny airplane, squint into the blinding sunshine, and pray my luggage made the same flight. Found it! Victory! Now, the real adventure begins – the taxi line. It's a symphony of haggling and aggressive waving. Finally, I'm in a beat-up taxi, the driver blasting something that sounds like a mariachi band having a rave.
  • 2:00 PM: Arrive at OYO Hotel Emperador. Turns out, the "Emperador" part is a bit ambitious. It's charmingly…lived-in. The lobby smells of something vaguely floral and something else I can’t quite place… maybe old paper and the ghost of a delicious tamale? Receptionist is delightfully unhurried. Checking in takes longer than the flight. But hey, that's Oaxaca baby. I finally get to the room…it's small, but clean, with a questionable mural of a rooster. I'm already charmed.
  • 2:30 PM: Drop my bag. Immediately want to nap. Fight the urge. Oaxaca awaits!
  • 3:00 PM: First mission: Food. I'm starving, and I’ve heard whispers of Tlayudas. Find a local comedor recommended in a sketchy travel blog (my trusted guide, obvi). It's down a dusty side street, the kind of place that makes you feel like you've accidentally walked into someone's kitchen. Victory! I snag a table. The lady running the place eyes me, probably assessing if I'm going to be the tourist who complains about the authenticity. I will not be that tourist.
  • 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM: Tlayuda time. Oh. My. God. Basically a giant, crispy tortilla plastered with beans, cheese, meat, and salsa. It's messy, it's huge, and it's the most delicious thing I've ever witnessed. Sauce dribbles down my chin, cheese gets stuck to my fingers. I realize I look like a toddler who's been given access to the entire kitchen counter. Don't care. Eat the whole damn thing.
  • 4:30 PM - 6:00 PM: Meander through the Zócalo. The main square. Beautiful! Cobblestones, bright buildings, the air alive with music. And dogs. Lots of dogs. Wandering pooches, lounging in the shade. People-watching is a sport in Oaxaca. Witness a street performer attempting to balance a tower of oranges on his head… failing spectacularly. Laugh out loud.
  • 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Attempt to find a decent Mezcal bar. (This is critical research, obviously.) Get hopelessly lost. Ask for directions from a woman selling flowers. She gives me a vague wave in a general direction. Oaxaca charm, right? Eventually stumble upon a tiny, dimly-lit bar with a sign "Mezcaleria". It looks promising.
  • 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Mezcal tasting! Learn that there are about a million different types of Mezcal. Take copious notes (mostly on the "smoky" and "smooth" varieties). The bartender, an old, grizzled guy with knowing eyes, tells me stories about Oaxaca. Decide Oaxaca is the greatest place on earth. Order a second round. Maybe a third. Maybe regret the decision slightly the next morning.

Day 2: Market Madness, Chocolate Dreams, and a Potential Meltdown

  • 8:00 AM (ish): Wake up feeling…alive. That Mezcal was powerful. Decide a breakfast of champions is needed.
  • 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM: Exploring Mercado Benito Juárez. Holy chaos. This is a sensory overload in the best possible way. Mountains of fruit, spicy chilies (the air itself seems to tingle with heat), the smell of freshly baked bread… and the incessant vendors. Practice my Spanish phrases. Get fleeced for a small bag of candy. Learn a lesson.
  • 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Chocolate factory time. (Because who can resist? Not me.) Visit a local chocolate shop. Watch them grind cacao beans, sniff the intoxicating aromas. Buy enough chocolate bars to single-handedly bankrupt myself. Eat one immediately.
  • 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM: The Church and the Calm.
    • The Iglesia de Santo Domingo. (Because you can't not do the churches!). The architecture is stunning. Spend an hour there absorbing the quiet beauty of being in an ancient building, where the walls have witnessed countless stories. Some quiet, inner peace amidst the mayhem.
    • Walk through the botanical gardens. Really try to find the time to enjoy the serenity.
  • 2:00 PM: Lunch. Try another comedor. This time, the menu is entirely in Spanish, but I wing it. (Point and smile is a universal language, right?) Score: delicious.
  • 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM: The Heat. The heat is a real thing. It's sticky, relentless, and a bit oppressive. Start to feel a bit overwhelmed. Attempt to find some shade. Fail. Contemplate a gelato.
  • 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Hotel Room Meltdown. Go back to the hotel room. Hide in the air conditioning. Take a nap. Consider what I thought I wanted in life (a well-curated Instagram feed? Is Oaxaca really the lifestyle I want to live?), and how it's completely different by the reality of the situation.
  • 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Recovery. Shower, change, splash some cold water on my face. Re-emerge.
  • 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Dinner and more Mezcal (duh). Find a rooftop restaurant overlooking the city. Watch the sunset. Oaxaca is beautiful. Order a second round.

Day 3: Ruins, Roads to Hell, and Goodbyes (and maybe a third Mezcal)

  • 8:00 AM (ish): Trying to remember the words for "hangover."
  • 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Monte Albán! This place is incredible. Huge, ancient ruins. The views are stunning. The history is fascinating. Wander the ruins, feeling small and insignificant (in a good way). Wish I'd taken Spanish lessons.
  • 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunch. Simple lunch.
  • 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Transportation Hell. Figure out that the local bus is the best way to get to Monte Alban. Get on the bus. Realize, after 30 minutes, that the bus is barely a bus at all, more like a rickety metal box that just does the job. Then there's the road. The ROAD is a construction road. It's bumpy. It's dusty. It's like a roller coaster designed by a sadist. Question all my life choices.
  • 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Back to the hotel.
  • 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Nap time. Because the bumpy bus ride.
  • 6:00 PM: Pack.
  • 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM: Final dinner. Try one last Oaxacan dish.
  • 8:00 PM - 9:00 PM: One last Mezcal. A sad one.
  • Goodbye: Depart Oaxaca, with a heart full of memories, a stomach full of delicious food, and a slight regret that I didn't learn more Spanish. I'll be back. This is a promise.

Important Notes:

  • Pace Yourself: You can't do everything. Embrace the chaos, the moments for rest, and the unexpected detours.
  • Embrace the Imperfections: Everything won't be perfect. Lost in the heat, a questionable meal…it's all part of the adventure.
  • Learn a Few Phrases: Even basic Spanish goes a long way. It's your duty to try.
  • Tip Generously: Service is often excellent.
  • Enjoy the Ride: Oaxaca is a magical place. Let go of the control, embrace the
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Hotel Piccolo Pevero, Porto Cervo

Book Now

OYO Hotel Emperador, Oaxaca Oaxaca Mexico

OYO Hotel Emperador, Oaxaca Oaxaca Mexico

Unbelievable Oaxaca Oasis: OYO Hotel Emperador's Hidden Gem? (Let's Be Real... It's Complicated!)

Okay, spill it. Is this "hidden gem" thing actually true? Is the OYO Hotel Emperador in Oaxaca REALLY worth the hype?

Ugh, okay, fine. The "hidden gem" label? It's... a gradient. It's *mostly* true, but like all travel experiences, it's more complex than a perfect Instagram post. First off, Oaxaca itself is magic. The food alone? Forget about it, I’m already planning my return trip just to eat more tlayudas. Anyway, the Emperador… it *could* be a gem. Emphasis on *could*. I mean, the location is *chef's kiss*. Right in the heart of everything, near the Zocalo, all the markets... pure gold. The courtyard is legitimately beautiful, verdant with plants. But... and there's always a "but," isn't there? Think of it like this: Imagine your quirky, artistic friend's apartment. It’s got incredible bones, amazing potential, but maybe the paint is peeling a little and the plumbing... well, let's just say it has a *personality* of its own. Sometimes, you're just sitting there, feeling like the most privileged person in the world. Other times… you're frantically trying to find a working outlet after a power outage.

What's the biggest pro... and the biggest con? Gimme the honest truth.

Okay, the BIGGEST PRO: **LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!** Seriously, you're practically *in* the action. Steps to everything. You stumble out after a mezcal tasting and BAM, you’re home. Pure bliss. And the courtyard... it's a lovely place to just... *be*. I spent hours there, just chilling, reading, and generally pretending I was a sophisticated traveler. Now, the biggest CON... and this is where my inner drama queen takes over... **the consistency.** I’m not going to lie, it can be hit or miss. Some days, everything's perfect. Hot water flows like a river, the WiFi is strong, and the staff are angels. Other days... well, let’s just say my patience wore thin. Picture this: One morning, I *finally* got the water hot for maybe five glorious minutes… then *POOF*! Cold shower. The joy, the pure *exaltation* of a hot shower, dashed by the capricious whims of the plumbing gods. Honestly, I had to laugh. What else could I do? It's part of the Oaxaca experience. Just... be prepared.

The rooms... are they actually any *good*? Or should I pack serious earplugs and a hazmat suit?

Okay, let's talk rooms. They range. Some are lovely, with charming balconies and high ceilings. (I actually managed to score *one* of those. Luck? Maybe. Bribery? Possibly... kidding!). Others... well, they're functional. Clean-ish. The beds are... well, they're beds. Not the Four Seasons, but they'll do the job. Noise? Yes, there's noise. You're in a city. Expect it. Earplugs are your friend. The rooster that seems to live *inside* the building? Earplugs. The street vendors hawking their wares at ungodly hours? Earplugs. The party happening in the courtyard until 2 AM? You guessed it: Earplugs. I’m half-kidding. I'm also not kidding. Embrace the chaos. It's part of the experience. Hazmat suit? Probably overkill. Unless you’re extremely sensitive to the smells of delicious street food. Then, maybe pack one. And a lifetime supply of sanitizer.

What about the staff? Are they helpful? Friendly? Or do they mostly just... shrug?

The staff are a mixed bag, just like everything else. Some are gems – genuinely lovely, helpful, and eager to please. They made me feel welcome, gave great recommendations, and were incredibly patient with my terrible Spanish. One woman, whose name I embarrassingly can't remember, was an absolute *saint* when I locked myself out of my room at 3 AM (don't ask). Bless her. Then... there are the others. The ones who seem slightly less enthused to be there. The ones who look at you like you're interrupting their morning. It's a gamble. But honestly, that's travel. It's part of the adventure. Just go with the flow. Tip generously when you find someone amazing. It goes a long way. Treat them like you would want to be treated, and for the most part... you’re golden.

Okay, let's get specific. The courtyard... is it as dreamy as the photos?

Oh, the courtyard. *Sigh*. Yes, the courtyard. It's... pretty darn dreamy. The photos don't lie. It's lush, green, and filled with the sound of trickling fountains. It's the heart of the hotel, a little oasis of calm. After a day battling the throngs in the mercados, or navigating the confusing one-way streets, it's *heaven*. I spent a significant amount of time there. Drinking coffee. Eating pastries. Trying to learn some basic Spanish. Writing in my journal (mostly about how much I loved Oaxaca and how much I was struggling with the hot water). It's not PERFECT. Sometimes there are loud groups. Sometimes the WiFi doesn’t reach. But mostly… it’s magical. It’s where you really feel like you’ve *arrived*. It's why you choose the Emperador. It's why you put up with the occasional plumbing woes. Because when you're sitting there, surrounded by plants, sipping your coffee, the world just feels… right. And you forgive a lot.

Food... the food in Oaxaca is legendary. Breakfast at the hotel? or hit the street?

Okay, this is a NO BRAINER. The hotel breakfast? Fine. Edible. Nothing to write home about. (Except maybe a passive-aggressive TripAdvisor review if you're really feeling it.) But Oaxaca is a FOOD PARADISE, a culinary dreamscape! Step. Outside. The. Hotel! Find a local *comedor* (small, family-run restaurant) and order *everything*. Try the tlayudas, the mole, the chapulines (if you're feeling brave!). Explore the markets. Eat tacos al pastor until you can't breathe. Drink the best *chocolate Oaxaca* in your life. The hotel breakfast is a distant, sad memory compared to the street food explosion happening just outside your door. It's not even a competition. Embrace the street food scene! Seriously, you’ll regret it if you don't. Get ready to loosen those belt loops, because your stomach is in for an epic adventure. I'm already drooling just thinking about it.

Would you stay there again? Be honest!

Ocean View Inn

OYO Hotel Emperador, Oaxaca Oaxaca Mexico

OYO Hotel Emperador, Oaxaca Oaxaca Mexico

OYO Hotel Emperador, Oaxaca Oaxaca Mexico

OYO Hotel Emperador, Oaxaca Oaxaca Mexico