Gaborone's Hidden Gem: Regent Select Hotel Review (You Won't Believe This!)

The Regent Select Hotel Gaborone Botswana

The Regent Select Hotel Gaborone Botswana

Gaborone's Hidden Gem: Regent Select Hotel Review (You Won't Believe This!)

Gaborone's Hidden Gem: Regent Select Hotel - You Won't Believe… Well, Some Things! (A Completely Honest Review)

Okay, so let's talk Regent Select Hotel in Gaborone. "Hidden Gem," huh? Well, the "hidden" part is definitely true. Finding the place initially, in the glorious chaos that is Gaborone traffic, felt like a treasure hunt. But, hey, that's part of the adventure, right? Right? Let's dive in, shall we? Buckle up, buttercups, because this is gonna be… well, it’s gonna be a review!

Accessibility & the Lay of the Land (With a Dash of "Oh God, Where's the Ramp?")

Listen, accessibility is HUGE for me. I'm not gonna give details on the specifics of me needing help but I'm gonna say, Regent Select tries. There’s an elevator (thank the heavens!), and the website claims wheelchair accessibility. However, I'm going to level with you, navigating the hotel with mobility limitations did involve a few "hmph!" moments. The ramps, if they exist, are camouflaged by the lush landscaping. The doorways seem to have appropriate widths, but a couple needed a little jostling. Let's just say, if you're reliant on a wheelchair, call ahead and triple-check. They seem committed, but clarify!

Internet: The Modern-Day Oxygen (With a Few Headaches)

Okay, let's be real. Free Wi-Fi is BASICALLY oxygen these days. And yes, praise the internet gods, Regent Select boasts Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! …and in public areas! Actually, the internet was mostly pretty solid. I did have a few dropout issues in my room late at night, which was frustrating because I was trying to work. But, hey, it's not the end of the world. However, I will say, the Internet access – LAN option in the rooms is a nice touch for anyone who prefers a wired connection (yes, they still exist!). Internet, I give them a B+.

Cleanliness, Safety & Keeping the Germs at Bay (Feeling a Little Paranoid?)

Alright, I'm a bit of a germaphobe, especially these days, so this is crucial. Regent Select gets serious points for Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, and Room sanitization between stays. I did see staff diligently cleaning surfaces. They even boast a Hand sanitizer station at every other corner. I appreciated the Individually-wrapped food options at the buffet. So, overall, felt pretty safe in the safety department. They even have Doctor/nurse on call, which is reassuring…though I didn’t have to use it, thank goodness!

Dining, Drinking & Snacking: Feed Me, Seymour! (And Maybe Another Cocktail)

Okay, food. This is where things get interesting. Regent Select has a few restaurants.

  • Restaurants: They have a few places to eat.
  • Bar: The bar is a lively spot!
  • Poolside Bar: It's worth it just for the ambiance.
  • Breakfast [buffet]: They offer a breakfast buffet. It's…a buffet. There's a decent selection of the usual suspects: eggs, bacon (when it's not gone in 5 minutes!), fruits, and the ever-present, but rarely exciting, pastries. However, the Asian breakfast option was a pleasant surprise, I loved the asian breakfast.
  • Coffee/tea in restaurant/Coffee shop: Good coffee and tea options.
  • Room service [24-hour]: The 24 hour room service is a lifesaver.
  • Happy hour: They have happy hour!
  • Snack bar: They even have a snack bar.

Services & Conveniences: Perks and Perks! (And the Dreaded Elevator)

The Air conditioning in public area and Air conditioning in the rooms is fantastic, especially in Gaborone's heat. The Concierge was helpful, though the answer to "can you find me a good local eatery?" was met with "Uh… the hotel restaurant?". They have a Convenience store on-site, a definite plus for those late-night snack cravings. The Daily housekeeping was efficient, and my room was always cleaned to a decent standard. They have Laundry service and Dry cleaning, which is a bit of a life saver.

For the Kids? (Not My Forte, But I See the Potential)

Regent Select is touted as Family/child friendly, but I didn't see a ton of kid-specific activities. They offer Babysitting service, which is good. They have Kids meal, which always helps. However, if you are planning a family trip, this can become a great place to bring the kids.

Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Spa Time, Anyone? (Or Just a Long Nap?)

Okay, the relaxation options at Regent Select are pretty impressive!

  • Spa: Yes, a spa!
  • Spa/sauna: Spa with sauna!
  • Sauna: They have a sauna.
  • Steamroom: And a steamroom.
  • Massage: Need a massage? They got you.
  • Pool with view: The pool is lovely.
  • Swimming pool [outdoor]: Outside swimming pool.
  • Fitness center: Fitness center for the fitness-minded.

I indulged in a massage, and it was divine. Honestly, it almost makes up for the minor accessibility niggles. The pool area is seriously relaxing. The Body scrub and Body wrap treatments are tempting, but I didn't try them. They also have a Gym/fitness, which I didn't check out (I'm on vacation, people!).

Rooms: The Good, the Bad, and the Mini-Bar (A Mini-Epic)

My room was… a room. Standard, but clean and comfortable.

  • Air conditioning: Air conditioning! A must.
  • Additional toilet: They have an extra toilet!
  • Bathrobes: Bathrobes are nice.
  • Bathtub: They have a bathtub.
  • Blackout curtains: Blackout curtains are great for sleeping.
  • Coffee/tea maker: Coffee and tea!
  • Daily housekeeping: Again, the daily housekeeping.
  • Free bottled water: Always appreciated.
  • In-room safe box: And a safe box .
  • Refrigerator: They have a refrigerator.
  • Shower: The shower worked.
  • Soundproofing: Soundproofing was adequate but not top of the line.
  • Wi-Fi [free]: Woohoo, free Wi-Fi!
  • Window that opens: A window that opens for fresh air.

The Mini bar was stocked, of course, but the prices were a bit… let’s just say they weren’t exactly budget-friendly. But hey, the convenience factor is king, right? The Bed itself was comfortable. I got a solid night's sleep, and hey, that's the most important thing!

Getting Around: Airport Transfer & Taxi Troubles (The Gaborone Shuffle)

They do offer Airport transfer, which is a massive plus. The Car park [free of charge] is a bonus. They also have Taxi service, but I primarily used the hotel-arranged car.

My Anecdote: The Unexpected Breakfast Encounter

Okay, this isn't exactly a major plot point, but it’s one of those little moments that make a trip memorable. One morning at the breakfast buffet, I was attempting to assemble what I consider a “perfect” breakfast (everything, basically). I was struggling to reach the croissants (I’m not exactly tall), when I spotted a staff member and decided to ask for her help. The staff member, instead of going "I got you." She immediately darted to my rescue, grabbing a whole platter of croissants. She then proceeded to chat with me about the weather, breakfast food and gave me a few more ideas of things to eat for breakfast. It was sweet, small, and that moment solidified my overall impression of the hotel.

The Verdict: Is it a Gem? (Spoiler: Mostly!)

So, is Regent Select a "Hidden Gem"? Maybe. It's definitely not a perfect 5-star experience, but it has a lot going for it. The staff are generally friendly and helpful, the spa is amazing, and the location is convenient. The internet is reliable, and the rooms are comfortable. The accessibility could be improved, and the buffet is…well, it’s a buffet.

My Final Score: 4 out of 5 stars (with a little more effort on accessibility, it’d be a solid 4.5!).

The "You Won't Believe This!" Offer (Because You Kinda Will)

Book your stay at Regent Select Hotel NOW and receive:

  • 15% off your entire stay (Because who doesn't love a discount?)
  • **Free upgrade to a room with the best views
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Malaka Hotel Bandung - Your Indonesian Paradise!

Book Now

The Regent Select Hotel Gaborone Botswana

The Regent Select Hotel Gaborone Botswana

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your grandma's itinerary. We're talking Botswana, Gaborone, The Regent Select Hotel, and a whole lotta 'whoa' thrown in for good measure. Forget perfect, embrace glorious chaos. Here we go…

Day 1: Arrival and Mild Panic (aka "Where's the freaking WiFi?!")

  • Morning (Let's say 8:00 AM…but realistically it'll be more like 9:30 AM after I finally find my glasses and untangle myself from the duvet): Touchdown at Sir Seretse Khama International Airport. Okay, immigration was surprisingly smooth. I’m feeling smug, like a seasoned globetrotter. Famous last words, right? The taxi ride to The Regent Select? A blur of red dust and…is that a baobab tree? Whoa. Okay, I might be in love already.
  • Morning/Early Afternoon (Let's call it 'WiFi-Induced Rage' around 11:00 AM - when I finally get to the hotel room): Check-in: smooth as silk. The receptionist's smile? Infectious. My room? Spacious and blessedly air-conditioned. The view? Meh. Bit of a concrete jungle situation, but hey, I'm not expecting a safari from my balcony. Now, the real test…the WiFi. Oh sweet Jesus, the WiFi. I spent a good hour wrestling with it. I'm talking password resets, desperate Googling of “Gaborone WiFi woes,” the whole shebang. Finally, defeated but connected. (Note to self: buy a local SIM card ASAP. My sanity depends on it.)
  • Afternoon (1:00 PM) - Lunch at The Regent's Restaurant: "The Bitterballen Brigade" I finally surfaced from the WiFi abyss, starving and grumpy. Luckily, the hotel restaurant had a lovely covered patio. The menu… well, it's a little… global. I went with the 'crispy chicken sandwich' (standard, secure choice) and, for no real reason other than curiosity, ordered a side of bitterballen (Dutch meatballs). These tiny, deep-fried spheres of deliciousness were a surprise, and quickly turned into my new favourite snack. I sat there, people-watching and eavesdropping on a conversation or two, completely forgetting about the WiFi. This city is growing on me.
  • Afternoon (3:00 PM)- Poolside Perusing. Finally, time to unwind by the pool. Note pool is small and I did not feel like a princess in a giant swimming pool, but that is because I am not. I was trying to read my book, but I kept getting distracted by the intense African sun, the occasional splash from what seemed to be a pool workout, and the general sense of, well, being in Africa. It felt good. I let the book fall closed.
  • Evening (7:00 PM): Dinner at the hotel. More Dutch meatballs! Okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but I was definitely tempted. I ended up having a delicious steak. One observation: Botswana beef is unbelievably tender. The wine list was surprisingly good too. Then early to bed - jet lag is a real beast.

Day 2: Culture Shock, Shopping Shocks, and a Big, Fat Chicken (literally)

  • Morning (8:00 AM): Breakfast at the hotel. The omelet station was a lifesaver. I'm starting to become acquainted with the other guests. Everyone is so friendly and so relaxed.
  • Morning (10:00 AM) - Exploring Gaborone (and getting delightfully lost): Decided to be a "brave adventurer" and explore the city. Armed with my trusty (and often inaccurate) Google Maps, I set off. First stop: the National Museum. Whoa. The history of Botswana is fascinating, from the ancient rock art to the struggle for independence. I got completely lost in the museum, which is much larger than I expected, and had a fantastic time.
  • Midday (12:00 PM): Lunch at a local cafe. Found a little place downtown. The food was hearty, cheap and delicious. I had some kind of stew - the spicy kind!
  • Late Afternoon (2:00 PM) - Shopping Spree Gone Wrong (ish): Headed to the local market for some souvenirs. This is where the "cultural immersion" went a little off the rails, in the best way possible. I haggled for a beautiful wooden carving. The vendor was incredibly charming (and probably saw me coming from a mile away). I ended up spending way more money than I intended. Oh well, retail therapy is a real thing, right?
  • Evening (6:00 PM) - The Chicken Incident: I decided to try and find a really great chicken and chips place - and I did! This was an adventure in itself - getting the taxi, finding it, ordering, and getting the food back. (I was too scared to eat there, alone and late, and so it was a take away). So, the chicken was enormous – HUGE. Honestly, larger than my head. I'm not even kidding. I struggled to get through half of it. The rest of the evening involved me comatose in my room, surrounded by chicken bones and feeling victorious.

Day 3: Into the Wild (sort of) and Farewell (for Now)

  • Morning (8:00 AM): Breakfast, the usual. A quick chat with some fellow travellers about their adventures. Botswana is a tiny place, and everyone seems to know or meet each other.
  • Morning (9:00 AM) - Day Trip to a Wildlife Reserve: I organized a day trip to a local game reserve. The anticipation was KILLING me. Oh my god, I saw a giraffe! And zebras! And elephants! Okay, I'm pretty sure I cried a little. It was overwhelming in the best possible way.
  • Midday (1:00 PM): Lunch at the reserve. Pack a sandwich, as the options there are limited.
  • Afternoon (3:00 PM) - Back to Gaborone: Reflecting on the day. I felt a sense of peace - and a renewed appreciation for the world.
  • Evening (7:00 PM) - Farewell Dinner: Last dinner at the hotel. Tried to savour every bite. Botswana, you've stolen a piece of my heart.
  • Night (10:00 PM) - Pack and Prep for Departure: Time to say goodbye.

Day 4: Departure (and the inevitable post-trip blues)

  • Morning (6:00 AM): Wake up groggy, grab coffee, and check out.
  • Morning (7:00 AM): Taxi to the airport.
  • Morning (9:00 AM): Flight takes off.

Botswana, you're an experience. You're dusty and hot and sometimes confusing and, oh, so beautiful. Until next time… I already can't wait to go back.

Escape to Paradise: Mexico's Hidden Hotel Gem!

Book Now

The Regent Select Hotel Gaborone Botswana

The Regent Select Hotel Gaborone Botswana

Okay, spill the tea! Is the Regent Select Hotel REALLY a "hidden gem" in Gaborone?

Alright, alright, let's get down to it. "Hidden gem" is… well, let's just say it's *aspiring* to hidden gem status. It's definitely NOT a gleaming diamond just waiting to be discovered. More like… a slightly tarnished silver locket with a really cool snapshot inside. Seriously, the outside? A bit… unassuming. Like a well-maintained office building that *could* be a hotel. But the inside? That's where the magic – and the quirks – start to appear. Let's just say prepare for a ride, folks.

What are the rooms *actually* like? Are they clean?

CLEAN? Okay, that's a biggie. For the most part, yes. Spotlessly clean, hotel-room pristine? Not always. Think… "comfortably tidy." I mean, I'm a bit of a neat freak, and I didn't find any horrors lurking under the bed. (Phew!) The bed itself? Heavenly. Seriously, I sunk in like I'd found a long-lost cloud. The pillows? *Chef's kiss*. I could have slept for a week straight. The décor? Let's just say it's… evolving. Some rooms are clearly more recently updated than others. One friend of mine got a room that could have been styled by your crazy aunt Mildred in the 80s - complete with a velour bedspread. (She loved it, bless her soul). But mine? Actually pretty good. Modern. Simple. A good TV. The all-important AC worked. This is Botswana, people. AC is life. So, yeah, clean-ish, comfortable, and you might get a room that takes you back in time – in the best way.

The food! Everyone always talks about the food. Is it any good?

Okay, buckle up, because the food experience is… a story. The breakfast? Included! And it's a buffet, yes, but it's not your typical, bland hotel buffet. They had pap (a local staple - think polenta-ish, but better), eggs cooked to order, bacon crisp! Actually, the bacon was the hero of the entire meal. My goodness, the bacon. I might have eaten an entire plateful. (Don't judge me!) Lunch and dinner? That's where things get… interesting. The menu is extensive, bordering on overwhelming. I ordered a steak one night. It was… okay. It was a steak. Not gourmet, but edible! The waiter was lovely. He kept apologizing for the wait (it took a while). But you know what? He was genuine. That made up for a lot. My friend, she had the chicken curry. Smelled amazing. She raved about it! The point is… it's not Michelin-starred, but the food is cooked with love, and you'll find something to enjoy. And the bar? Nice, dark, and inviting. Good for a sundowner or two, especially after a long day of exploring Gaborone. And the staff? Super friendly.

Are the staff helpful, and friendly?

Yes! Absolutely, a resounding YES! This is where the Regent Select *truly* shines. The staff? They're the best part. They're warm, welcoming, and genuinely seem to care. I felt like I was staying with friends, honestly. After a day of dodging aggressive taxi drivers, and haggling for souvenirs, it's a relief! They remembered my name, offered recommendations (which, by the way, were spot-on), and basically just made the whole experience ten times better. One evening, I was having a terrible travel day, and I was *this close* to bursting into tears. The woman at the front desk saw it, brought me a cup of tea, and just listened while I rambled. She was an angel. Seriously. The staff alone is worth staying there, I swear. They truly saved my sanity.

Okay, okay, what about the location? Is it convenient?

The location is… decent. Not *perfect*, but certainly within reach. It's not right in the heart of downtown, but it's a short (and cheap) taxi ride away from the main attractions, like the Gaborone Game Reserve (which is incredible! Go see the giraffes!), the malls, and the museums. There are some restaurants and shops nearby, so you're not completely isolated. It's quiet, which is a HUGE plus. A few extra minutes in a taxi is a small price to pay for some proper peace and quiet. I wouldn't say it's 'walkable' to everything, but definitely convenient enough. It's better than being in the middle of some noisy, crowded area. And yes, taxis are easily accessible, and the hotel can call one for you.

Is there anything you *didn't* like? Be brutally honest.

Alright, here comes the brutally honest part. The Wi-Fi. It's… temperamental. Like a moody teenager. Sometimes it's fast and reliable, and sometimes it just disappears. Be prepared to have your patience tested. The gym? I didn't personally use it, but from what I heard (and peeked through the door) it's basic. Maybe bring your own workout equipment, just in case. And, honestly, the décor could use an update in some areas. It’s a little bit like… trying to time travel! But hey – it’s charming in its own way! Also, the parking is a bit tight sometimes. The shower pressure was also a bit weak in my room (but my friend's room was fine!). So, yeah. Imperfections. They exist. But they're manageable.

Would you stay there again? Seriously?

Absolutely. Without a doubt. Despite the wonky Wi-Fi and the slightly-dated décor, it's the staff that won me over. AND that BED! The prices are reasonable, the location is fine, the food is decent, and the people are amazing. I'll take that over a soulless, chain hotel any day. Plus, there's a certain *je ne sais quoi* about the place. An undeniable charm. Maybe it's the friendly staff, maybe it's the fact that it doesn't try too hard to be something it's not. It's just… comfortable. And in the end, that's what matters. So, yeah. Go give the Regent Select a try. Just don't go expecting perfection. Expect a good experience, good people, and maybe the best damn bacon you've ever tasted.

What’s one piece of advice you'd give someone considering this hotel?

Lower your expectations a teeeensy bit, and focus on the people. Embrace the quirks! Pack some patience (for the Wi-Fi) and get ready to be charmed. And don'Stay By City

The Regent Select Hotel Gaborone Botswana

The Regent Select Hotel Gaborone Botswana

The Regent Select Hotel Gaborone Botswana

The Regent Select Hotel Gaborone Botswana